The most common reason for the sciatica sensation is because of a herniated disc in the spine that presses on a lumbar or sacral nerve root.
The treatment recommended from the start is most often pain killers and to stay as active as possible. For about 90% of people, the sciatica symptoms will resolve by itself in less than six weeks. Surgery may be an option if it lasts more than six weeks and the pain still is severe. Surgery may speed pain recovery, but its long term benefits are unclear and complications are always a factor.
Symptoms of Sciatica Nerve Pain
The medical condition Sciatica is often described as a shooting pain, that goes from the lower back, down the leg all the way to the foot in some cases. It usually occurs suddenly after incorrect, heavy lifting or other strenuous activities, though it can build up gradually as well. Symptoms are typically only on one side of the body followed by lower back pain.
Pain that radiates from your lower back into the side/back of your legs is the most common symptom or sign of sciatica. It can feel like a mild ache, a burning sensation or a sharp, severe pain. You might also feel numbness, tingling, and weakness sensation in your leg or foot. Prolonged sitting, standing, sneezing, coughing, lifting, twisting, or straining might make the pain worse.
The Best Stretch For Pain Relief
The best stretch for relieving pain from sciatica nerve pressure is the Pigeon Stretch.
- Start on the floor on all fours.
- Slide the right knee forward toward your right hand and place your right foot on the other side of your left knee keeping the right knee at an angle.
- Slide your left leg back all the way behind you on the floor, with the top of the foot on the ground and toes pointing back.
- To keep your back safe, keep your hips square to the floor.
- You can either stay in this upright position or gradually fold the upper body forward, resting your head on a pillow, yoga block or on your hands.
- Take deep breaths.
- Stay in this position for as long as you like, all from 10 breaths up to five minutes or more.
- Repeat on the other side.
The Longest Nerve In Our Body
As mentioned Sciatica usually starts with a herniated disk in your lower spine pressing on the nerve roots. Our spinal bones are separated by flexible, flat and round, cushioned disks of connective tissue. The soft center of a disk can begin to push out when it gets worn down, (this is what is called a herniated disc), because of an injury or improper posture. When this occurs it may put pressure on the nerves surrounding it, causing a lot of pain.
The sciatic nerve starts in your lower back and splits to run through your hips, buttocks, legs and feet on both sides and is therefore the longest nerve in our body.
Sciatica Relief Treatment
Sciatica can be cured or managed with a number of different treatments. When the cause of sciatica is disc herniation, it most often resolves by itself over a few weeks time to a couple of months. That is why the initial treatment over the first 6–8 weeks usually is very cautious and conservative. Most people with sciatica get better in a few weeks without surgery. Over-the-counter pain killers like ibuprofen can help relieve pain, although they should be only a short-term solution.
Recommendations of putting cold packs on your lower back for a couple of days and than switching to hot packs for a few days after that are sometimes given. Also, stretches for lower-back and sciatic pain relief is recommended.
Your first instinct might be to rest and take it easy when you have sciatica, because of the excruciating pain when moving but it’s actually more important to keep up your daily movement as much as possible. If you sit still, the nerve will continue to be irritated in that spot, sitting is actually the worst position our body can be in. When you stay in motion, you will reduce the inflammation, doe to increased blood circulation.
If the pain lasts more than 3 months, doctors will start looking into the possibility of surgery if not home remedies, stronger medication or physical therapy has made a difference.
As an alternative medicine treatment, acupuncture has been shown to improve sciatica-related pain in some cases.
MagniLife Leg and Back Pain Relief Cream
As an alternative remedy for short-term pain-relief you may want to try a product called Leg & Back Pain Relief Cream. This cream combines seven active ingredients to relieve burning pains and tingling sensations.
About the product:
- FAST ACTING RELIEF: applies easily and penetrates quickly to relieve common aches and pains such as pins & needles sensations, burning, tingling, shooting, stabbing and aching pains that may be worse when sitting, walking or sleeping.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Consists of nourishing ingredients such as Aloe and fruit & plant extracts to heal the skin in a natural way.
- NON-GREASY & FAST ABSORBING: Applies easily and deeply penetrates to quickly target the problem area without leaving an external greasy residue or irritation
- QUALITY INGREDIENTS: Free from petroleum and mineral oils that can sit on the surface and promote bacteria growth.
- Another great ‘Health From Nature” homeopathic product from MagniLife and proudly made in the USA.
If you are interested you can find MagniLife Leg and Back Pain Relief Cream here.